The Common University Entrance Test (CUET) has been introduced from the academic session 2022-23 for admission into undergraduate and postgraduate programmes of various central universities. CUET-UG 2022 entrance exam will be used in place of class 12th marks and university entrances for admissions into central universities. CUET-UG will provide a common platform and level playing field for UG admissions across boards and regions.
Following is a brief description of the exam for undergraduate programmes–
|Dates of Examination||First and second week of July 2022|
|Mode of Examination||Computer-based Test (CBT)|
|Duration of Examination||Slot 1: 195 minutes Slot 2: 225 minutes|
|Pattern of Examination||Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)|
|Medium of Paper||English, Hindi and 11 other Indian languages|
|Exam Conducting body||National Testing Agency (NTA) COMMON UNIVERSITY ENTRANCE TEST (CUET) | CUET | India (nta.nic.in)|
|Examination timings||Slot 1: 09.00 AM to 12.15 PM (IST) Slot 2: 03.00 PM to 06.45 PM (IST)|
|Syllabus||Same as Class XII|
|Number of sections||3|
|Marks per question||5 marks for correct answer Minus 1 for incorrect answer No marks for unanswered /marked for review|
Sections of the CUET-UG 2022
- Section IA – Languages (45 minutes for each language)
There are 13 languages and 40 questions out of 50 in each language to be tested through reading comprehension. A candidate can appear for a maximum of three languages in Section IA and Section IB
- Section IB – Languages (45 minutes for each language)
There are 20 languages and 40 questions out of 50 in each language to be tested through reading comprehension. A candidate can appear for a maximum of three languages in Section IA and Section IB
- Section II – Domain (45 minutes for each subject)
A maximum of six (06) domains out of 27 can be chosen and 40 questions out of 50 in each domain
- Section III – General Test (60 minutes)
General Knowledge, Current Affairs, General Mental Ability, Numerical Ability, Quantitative Reasoning, Logical and Analytical Reasoning and 60 questions out of 75 to be attempted
*List of languages and domain-specific subjects are given at the end of the article.
Some important points for CUET-UG 2022
- It is not compulsory to choose any one or more of the domains/Subjects. The choice of subjects would depend on the course and university where the student wishes to apply.
- A candidate can choose a maximum of 9 subjects in all the sections in CUET-UG 2022.
- Extra time for PwBD Candidates of 15 minutes for 45 minutes examination and 20 minutes for 1-hour examination.
- The mode of question paper of the Domain Specific Subjects and the General Test will be bi-lingual.
- Slot 1 (morning shift): A candidate can take up to 4 tests in this slot (One Language from Section IA, a maximum of two domain-specific Subjects from Section II and One General Test from Section III)
- Slot 2 (afternoon shift): A candidate can take up to 5 tests in this slot as follows:
- One Language from Section IA & IB and a maximum of four domain-specific Subjects from Section II, or
- Two Languages from Section IA & IB and a maximum of three domain-specific Subjects from Section II.
How to prepare for CUET-UG 2022?
Domain Specific Test – Revise all topics of class 12th for the subject in which you are going to appear. Practice MCQs from those chapters and appear for mock tests. If you have not availed any test series, then practice sample papers available online or purchase relevant books.
Languages – Focus on reading comprehension and literary devices and appear for mock tests.
General Test – For General Test, it is important to brush up basics of mathematics studied till class 8th. For logical and analytical reasoning, practise tests/mock papers available online (free resources are also available). For general knowledge and current affairs, abreast yourself with the latest happenings, government schemes, national/international events, economy-related news, budget and economic survey, CMs/governors’ names, state and capitals, country and capitals, important events in the past 1 year, prize winners, etc. However, focus more on quantitative ability and logical reasoning as General knowledge is never-ending!
After practising mock tests, devote sufficient time for analysis to identify weak areas and the nature of mistakes.
Subjects/Languages under CUET-UG 2022
List of Languages in Section IA (CUET-UG 2022)
The list of 13 Languages under section IA as mentioned with the revised CUET-UG 2022 Exam Pattern has been enlisted below.
List of Languages in Section IB (CUET-UG 2022)
The list of 20 Languages under section IB as mentioned with the revised CUET-UG 2022 Exam Pattern has been enlisted below.
List of Domain-specific subjects (CUET-UG 2022)
The list of 27 Domain-Specific subjects as mentioned with the revised CUET-UG 2022 Exam Pattern has been enlisted below. The candidates may choose a maximum of 6 Subjects from the below-mentioned list. The choice of subject has to be made keeping in mind the subject required for admission in the desired university for the desired course (which has been notified by universities /colleges on their website).
- Accountancy/ Book Keeping
- Biology/ Biological Studies/ Biotechnology/Biochemistry
- Business Studies
- Computer Science/ Informatics Practices
- Economics/ Business Economics
- Engineering Graphics
- Home Science
- Knowledge Tradition and Practices of India
- Legal Studies
- Environmental Science
- Physical Education/ NCC /Yoga
- Political Science
- Teaching Aptitude
- Mass Media/ Mass Communication
- Fine Arts/ Visual Arts (Sculpture/ Painting)/Commercial Arts
- Performing Arts – (i) Dance (Kathak/ Bharatnatyam/ Oddisi/ Kathakali/Kuchipudi/ Manipuri (ii) Drama- Theatre (iii) Music General (Hindustani/ Carnatic/ Rabindra Sangeet/ Percussion/ Non-Percussion)